Subject: [Leica] M9 color balance
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:36:00 -0700

I made a rather surprising discovery, and wonder whether it is a
Leica peculiarity or common to other digital cameras.

What I discovered was that the color balance setting, available on
the short "Set" menu, directly affects the DNGs. I always thought
that in-camera settings were just supposed to process jpegs, assuming
that jpegs out of the camera are requested. The color balance choices
are very close to those available on LR3.

I had thought that DNGs are as they come out of the sensor, with no
fancy processing by the camera. Of course, the physics of it suggests
that this color balance control may be similar to setting of ISO,
except that different settings are used for R, G, and B. And
"settings" could very well be a metaphor for the the voltage applied
to the sensor elements.

My general question directed to y'all is whether this behavior shows
up on RAW files from other mainline cameras, e.g. Nikon, Cannon.

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org