Subject: [Leica] Leica finances
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:20:50 -0400

Five minutes of research revealed the following Wall St. Journal article on
Leica's finances and Kaufman's acquisition of the company:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122152103387739231.html

If Leica's sales stay as robust as they have been in 2011 and Herr Kaufman
takes out most of the profits as a dividend, he should be whole in about a
dozen years. However he maintains that sales have to increase before there
is a surplus large enough to institute a new camera development program.
Reading between the lines, I infer that much of the design of the M8, M9,
and S2 was completed before Kaufman bought the company. Certainly the sensor
is a Kodak product. I remember receiving press releases from Kodak about
microlens digital sensor technology about nine or ten years back when they
were trying to convince Wall St. that their digital efforts would pay off.
It may be a long time before we see an M10 or a digital CL.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica finances)
Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Leica finances)