Subject: [Leica] Leica finances
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:46:16 +0200

Chris,

Indeed they do - but that the German government is
honest is a moot point. Members of parliament are not
as open to bribery and corruption as in many other
countries, but the party system is riddled with
financing from often dubious sources.

As is the case in numerous other countries, government
decisions are strongly influenced and supported
financial by 1) the church, 2) Trade and industry
federations, 3) lobbying  - particularly by the power
generation, pharmaceuticals, insurance, banking,
automotive and arms segments (sounds familiar:-) ). At
municipal, local and regional levels of government,
backhanders, bribery and corruption are actually quite
common - mostly in conjunction with getting planning
permission for building projects or fixing tenders for
municipal works.

I think that, based on available income, the cost of
living and the benefits to be expected on retirement,
the Greek civil servants do not necessarily earn more,
but are very probably better off in the long run than
their counterparts in Germany.

Cheers
Douglas