Subject: [Leica] Leica 40mm CL lens
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:27:16 -0400

Gene writes:
"I seem to remember the Minolta made 40mm lens for the CL to get a rather
mundane review in the photo press at the time."
- - - - -
Leica snobbery. As Momma Merman was reported in the Lug to have said, "What
the f- -k did they know?"
Irwin Puts ranks the 40mm Summicron as comparable to the Leica 6 and 7
element 35mm Summicron, both much more expensive lenses. Cameraquest thinks
that Leica's 40mm Summicron is a real jewel. I have never seen any credible
evidence that the 40mm Summicron (Rokkor) made in Japan and fitted to the
Minolta CL was inferior to the ones offered for the German labeled Leica CL.
As for the cameras made in Portugal or Canada, "What the f- -k do I know?" I
have never owned a Leica made in either country.
However I do own a Canadian made snow blower that is a marvelous machine.
And I have a couple of bottles of great Port in my wine cellar.
Larry