Subject: [Leica] Woe is me...
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:07:16 -0700

Thanks for the suggestions.  So many different ideas and points of view.  I
am leaning towards the 24-120, but it is a hunk of change.  Will I use it
after I get my 35-70 repaired, or will I like it so much that it is not
worth repairing the 35-70 (blasphemy).  Philippe is right that the current
plan is a stop gap measure so maybe the older version, despite it's
substantial flaws, would fit the bill, and use Lightroom to correct those
flaws.  But any correction involves loss of quality as you bend and shift
pixels into their "proper" place.   And I have to admit, running around
Washington DC with a tripod in hand is not convenient, so image
stabilization in the new version would be a big help.  With my 10-24 and the
24-120 I would be covered for most things except macro.  The 35-70 does have
a pretty good quality macro feature.  Not up to the 100 APO, but not bad in
a pinch.

Ah, life was so easy before I dropped that sucker.  It's eventual
replacement was just some future event waiting for necessity.  Now necessity
is NOW.

Aram