Subject: [Leica] S2 envy...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:46:41 -0400

In the 90's and before landscape photography was ruled by the large format
sheet film shooters. There were more of them then the medium format roll
film people that you heard about anyway. And 35mm landscape people were
doing stuff like having garbage in the foreground and stuff which was
political and environmental it was not about beauty of landscape but really
almost about the opposite.

Most my landscape work and cityscapes were medium format. This was ok as
long as there was not a print also hanging in the room hanging right next to
them which was shot with sheet film.  As that print would make my roll film
print look like it was shot with a toy camera.  I'd like that shot hung on
the other side of the room please.

I had to be careful  to not hang one of my 35mm landscapes next to one of my
medium format ones. Same problem. The 35mm large prints looks ok alone or in
a room filled with just them but put them next to a shot done from a Hassy
or Rollei and  they looked thin and weak in direct comparison as you looked
from left to right and back again.. I'm talking 16x20's or sometimes
11x14's. 8x10's from larger format had a kind of concentrated richness. But
the 35mm stuff did not look like it was spread out too thin.

I've seen some inkjets, black and white from medium format captures and they
blew away anything I'd seen taken with full frame.  If my focus was mainly
on landscape work and cityscapes I would be shooting full frame digital. It
will be probably I'll be able to swing a used back for my Hassies one of
these days. If I'm doing better I'd rather be using the Leica S system.
Anything is possible you never know.

--
Mark R.