Subject: [Leica] OT - Tracking Stolen Cameras
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:12:27 +0900

Funny coincidence... I was just talking to a friend about the same
idea, but I never knew anyone had realized it.   I thought it should
be possible to track digital photo gear online if it ever got stolen.
However, maybe lenses would have to be coded in some way too, to give
their fingerprint to the camera.  I had a Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS stolen
a few years ago.  I replaced it with a non IS version for much cheaper
as the white paint was chipped a lot, but the optics were perfect.  Is
there a way to track lenses online in a similar way?