Subject: [Leica] OT: Cell phone in Europe
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:01:49 -0400

Ken,

We go Europe about once a year and I go to China for a week or 2 a few times
a year.

I bought an unlocked iPhone from Apple Canada. If your iPhone is not
unlocked, which it probably isn't, you should either ask AT&T to unlock it
or jailbreak+unlock it so you can use a local SIM card in Europe.
Alternatively, buy a cheap unlocked cell phone once you get there. All the
roaming plans from North American carriers are basically highway robbery.

Unless you really need mobile data every minute, I would disable data
roaming and mobile data. Use the hotel wifi (or McDonald's Wifi) when
available. The cheap hotels usually have free wifi. McDonalds in France had
free Wifi last year.

Have a look here for prepaid local SIM cards. Some local carriers have cheap
data but as you are visiting 3 countries, it get complicated depending on
how long you are staying in each one.

<http://www.prepaidgsm.net/>

Contact me off list if you like more details.

Regards,
Spencer