Subject: [Leica] Film story Leica Copy Story Russia 1993
From: mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:01:58 -0700

In 1993, I was in Moscow when Yeltsin dissolved parliament and there was
great unrest (tanes AK74WASRs, etc) shot many photos with Feds and Zorkis as
was not kosher to look western where the unrest was. Went to GUM purchased
all the TACMA ISO 64 B&W they had. Insisted the poor guy sell me all his
cassettes (at the time film was spooled and wrapped with foil and inserted
in the outer shell. Which was reused  no time to do that with tanks)
Purchased developer and fixer used vitamin C as stop as was unsure of water
pH)......loaded shot great pix developed and dried in hotel Cosmos room.
Rolled negs tightly, hollowed out insoles put negs in insoles (was unsure
who was going to come out on top) Out through Warsaw then Amsterdam into US
at MSP.

Got pulled aside.

Got escorted to little room by a polite but very firm woman

I was unsure why. Two armed men joined her.

They pulled out my shoes and asked if I wanted an attorney present. I said
no.

I am sure they were expecting the idiot of the week smuggling cigar size
joints in his insoles for heaven's sake...

The disappointment on their faces was priceless as they pulled out a dozen
rolls of tightly round film...

They looked at it (last ditch hope for porn? who knows)

Asked me to confirm where I had been (look dude you have my passport check
the stamps)

Need to dig those out and print them

Mark in PDX