Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Hurricane Irene Damage
From: mfsacca at sover.net (Michael Sacca)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:07:17 -0400

Hi all,

Here in Vermont, our world has been turned upside down, with plenty of
mud and fine silts cattered about. School has been cancelled for the
next week, many roads are closed and a score of towns across the state
are isolated due to road and bridge washouts. What has been a bit
bizarre is that we have had clear blue, pleasant weather for the last
two days after getting 7" of rain the day before. Our house is on a
hill so we were safe from the flood waters but our neighbors along the
river didn't fare as well. Throughout Vermont, the road system and
settlement pattern follows the creek and river systems, with many of
the towns located along the rivers. Most people as well as state
government are just now coming out of shock to begin the conversation
of how to rebuild infrastructure and lives. Here is a quote from
Calvin Coolidge, the 30th US President (from Vermont) given a year
after the Flood of 1927, which many have compared to the recent
flooding;

"I love Vermont because of her hills and valleys, her scenery and
invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable
people. They are a race of pioneers who have almost beggared
themselves to serve others. If the spirit of liberty should vanish in
other parts of the Union, and support of our institutions should
languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by
the people of this brave little state of Vermont."

all best,
Michael