Subject: [Leica] ONCE IN A WHILE! :-)
From: lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 01:25:30 +0200

+1 and not just inspired, we have learned from you day after day with
your interesting comments and always your encouragement to our work.
Personnally too, off course. The LUG is not the same when Uncle Ted is
not in the list.

I keep a memorandum from Nathan of your advices, and I come back to
read it time to time.

This, from Nathan's blog
Ted Grant?s photography wisdom

Filed under: Thoughts from my car ? Administrator @ 6:01

Ted Grant is a national treasure in Canada. He has been a
photojournalist for 56 years, and has produced many iconic images,
such as the one of the late Premier Pierre Trudeau sliding down a
banister. In the course of his career, Ted has covered many world
events and countless major sporting events such as the Olympics.

Ted is now semi-retired. In the last few years, he has produced some
outstanding personal projects, especially the two books ?This is Our
Work? and ?Women in Medicine?, both of which document the medical
profession in exquisite black & white photographs. You can see some
examples here. There is also an interview with Ted from the Victoria
Times-Colonist from 19th October 1999.

Ted has been a member of the Leica Users Group for several years, and
he has entertained all of us with his many ?war stories? from his long
career (which include dangerous situations but also funny ones, such
as the legendary story of being on the wrong end of a constipated cow
whose constipation suddenly was relieved?). Ted has also been a source
of photographic wisdom, most of the time centred on the KISS principle
(Keep It Simple Stupid).

During the past week (July 2006), Ted has posted three sets of what he
labels ?suggestions? on the Leica Users Group. I am reproducing them
here with Ted?s permission to ensure that they have a permanent web
presence beyond the archives of the mailing list. Here they are,
reproduced verbatim in the order Ted posted them.

Please note that all the material published on this page and the other
Ted Grant pages on this blog is the intellectual property of Ted Grant
and may not be copied or reproduced in any form without the express
written permission of Ted Grant.

Photographer suggestions 1.

1/ While you consider the best angle to photograph a person, it is
preferable to continue shooting even though a number of frames are
rejects. If you hesitate, you may make your subject uneasy, thinking
you do not know what you are doing.

2/ Good photojournalists master the art of portrait lighting, allowing
them to use available light to their advantage. It sharpens their
appreciation for the changing mood of light.3/ The best way to make an
informal portrait, is to allow your subject to go about their
business, finding your pictures during the activity.

4/ Do not direct your subject with ?look this way, hold it or point
there? and finally ?look in the camera and smile.? This type of
direction makes your subject stop living and start posing.

5/ SLR cameras when used in low light, are usually difficult to focus.
To improve accuracy, turn the focusing ring to its closest focus
point. Then bring your subject into sharp focus in the viewfinder.
Using this method the eye recognises the sharpest image quicker than
focusing from the infinity point.

6/ Events where news photographers hang together as flys at a feeding,
take a few obvious frames; break away and using a long lens reach back
to the subject for a totally different photograph.

7/ When shooting sunrise or sunset, most people look in the direction
of the sun. The sunlight doesn?t stop where you stand, turn around and
see what it is shining on. Maybe a marvellous photograph is
beautifully lit.

8/ Light is just as important as the subject, in many cases the light
is the subject. If you do not understand the magic of light, you will
produce uninspiring photographs.

9/ The on location portrait can often produce a superior likeness to
one taken under studio lights. People are more at ease in their own
surroundings.

10/ Shoot field sports from a kneeling or sitting position. A lower
angle increases the impact of the photograph, athletes appear bigger
and background clutter is eliminated.

Photographer Suggestions 2

1. Never carry more equipment than you can run with.

2. Don?t drink too much before going on an assignment where you may
miss your picture if nature calls.

3. Don?t drink alcoholic beverages before an assignment, your reaction
time will be slower.

4. Don?t drink too much alcoholic beverages == hangovers are hell
through a viewfinder.

5. Carry a compass in your equipment bag, you may need to know where
the sun sets.

6. If you can see it == you can shoot it.

7.Quantity of light for exposure == Quality of light for mood.

8. Daylight is immovable == set your subject to the main source.

9. Understanding light, breaths? life into your pictures.

10. To learn the magic of light, get up before sunrise and watch.

Photographer suggestions 3

1. Practice until your equipment becomes second nature.2. Keep your
equipment in excellent working order. Do not forget batteries.

3. After selecting your camera and film, master them thoroughly.

4. Pack more film than you think you will need.

5. Prepare thoroughly for the assignment, you will produce stronger
pictures because of better research.

6. On assignment, dress well, appear competent, sound confident.

7. Cover the assignment from all possible angles. Take the obvious
picture first then look for completely different angles.

8. Be nice to your subject, you only need them happy for 1/125th of a
second!

9. A small freezer bag of raisins will keep away hunger pains one
handful at a time.

10. Each assignment is as important as the last. Make each one a
challenge to your ability.

Addendum: Success - the 3 C?s (19th July 2006)

Some photographers believe they have to be the world?s ?greatest
photographer? to be successful. This is a myth and for many an
unattainable goal.

The formula for success is very simple.

If you are a competent photographer to start with, the ingredient for
achieving success is knowing the 3 C?s.

CONCENTRATION ? CONSISTENCY ? CREDIBILITY

Do only those assignments that allow you to Concentrate, be
Consistent, and maintain your Credibility. This in turn will make you
a dependable successful photographer.

When an editor or client knows you are dependable, in that, when he or
she gives you an assignment, come hell or high water you are going to
come back with usable material. And with any kind of luck, a few
diamonds in the exposed film.

Being dependable through the 3 C?s, almost guarantees you will have
all the assignments you can manage successfully.

cheers
Lluis

El 31/08/2011, a las 21:41, Nathan Wajsman escribi?: