Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Insects, New Approach
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 14:18:09 -0500

Someone recently suggested that longer lenses may be easier to use for some
insect shots, because one does not spook the critter by getting to close.  I
recalled that I have a pristine late model Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
135/3.5 which has seen little use.  Realizing that the minimum focusing
distance of the lens is around 5 feet, I thought this might be a problem.
It turned out that the lens is usable, but getting down to 3 feet would be
an improvement.

Silver Spotted Skipper in a shadowy spot:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Skipper.jpg.html

Bumble Bee climbing out after finishing his chores inside a bloom:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Climbing+Out.jpg.html

Seeing the quality of the images that this lens produces, I will try to
improve my technique with it.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA