Subject: [Leica] IMG: Whooping Crane
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:36:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

During my recent road trip I visited the International Crane Foundation
(ICF) in Baraboo WI (www.savingcranes.org) where several captive birds are
held for breeding and research.

The Whooping Crane's success story is well known, and was possible because
of the ICF's work with captive birds.

A pair of captive Whooping Cranes is on display in a large, open-air
enclosure that simulates natural habitat:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/gruidae/whcran04.html

These birds have become accustomed to people near their enclosure so often
they approach without fear while hunting aquatic prey:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/gruidae/whcran05.html

Cranes are very territorial so this bird is constantly watching for other
cranes encroaching on its turf:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/gruidae/whcran07.html

A small flock of wild Sandhill Cranes is spotted:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/gruidae/whcran08.html

and the Whooping Crane tells the Sandhill Cranes where to go, i.e., away:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/gruidae/whcran10.html
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/gruidae/whcran11.html

Technical stuff: R8/DMR, 180mm APO-Elmarit-R, shoulder stock & sometimes
monopod.  All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com