Subject: [Leica] Ricoh GXR
From: mitcha at mac.com (Mitch Alland)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:53:02 +0700

> The M mount A-12 module sure looks like a viable alternative to a
> used/demo M8.
I find that I get much better results with the GXR M-Module than I ever got
with the M8.2.  No use to consider high-ISO pictures because, for those, the
GXR M-Module is clearly better. But if I Iook at some pictures I took at the
base ISO of the M8 (160), the colors and resolution, to me, looks
substantially better in the M-Module files, which has a carity and
transparency in the colors and a resolution that the M8 files just don't
achieve, not to speak of better white balance.

As far as the B&W is concerned, as soon as I bring files into Silver Efex
they often are almost as I want them to be and I just add some small tweaks,
and often, at least at high ISO, don't even use one of the film simulations
that have grain. When I brought M8 files into Silver Efex, I had to do much
more processing. Does this make the M-Module better than the M8? It does for
me, but there could be another variable: I often am getting better exposures
using the "exposing to the right method", which can account for some of the
difference. But that is not true for all shots because some of the exposures
end up the same because of the nature of the light in a particular pictures.
So, on balance, I do find the M-Module a better camera to use. I will be
interested what other people find, and, also to see direct comparison by
Sean Reid, when he gets to this.

I'll repeat to the link to the thread where I discuss all this and show some
pictures.

?Mitch/Bangkok