Subject: [Leica] Nocti, BW 1x2
From: leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 15:57:49 -0500

Richard,

I've owned 4 "panoramic cameras", the Xpan w/45 and 90 lenses, the Fuji
6x17, Brooks Veriwide, and the Widelux.   Each of them have their special
place for me...I really really liked the Widelux but it spent way to much
time in a repair shop in California.  I tried to replace the Widelux with a
Noblex but for each mechanical problem the Widelux had, the Noblex had a
corresponding electronic one. There is a big difference between a sweep lens
camera and a fixed lens camera, nothing is quite like it.

I  never was happy with the Brooks, I keep it because I'm sentimental about
it, it belonged to a friend of mine who had it stolen, I found it at a
camera show and he got it back, sadly he has now passed on: I got it from
his daughter.

The Fuji was an awesome camera, a little too big though for what I wanted to
use if for.  Super quality, I preferred to use it with a groundless back
(actually I used a piece of scratched plastic over the film plane as
substitute).

The Xpan I had high hopes for but I could never get my compositions to look
like I wanted them to, in part because the parallax corrections for the
camera seemed to be non existent and in part to the lensing, none of the
focal lengths seemed to work for me. I was hoping the 30 would turn the
trick but it didn't.   I've been jonseing for a 6x12 for years but I've
decided to just crop or stitch.

Ric,

I shoot a lot of video in the 16x9 format (almost 1x2) took to it pretty
easily because of my experience with panoramics.  Nice thing about still
cameras, you can do verticals!

Leo Wesson
Photographer/Videographer
817.733.9157