Subject: [Leica] Along the Eastern Sierra
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:15:18 -0700

Someone, remind me, it's the first week of October . . . right?

We left Davis on Thursday a bit after noon. We had hoped to cross the Sierra
on Monitor pass, but it was closed, as was Sonora Pass and Tioga Pass, due
to heavy snow. But I-80 looked good and US 50 looked even better, so we
chose to cross at Echo Summit.

As we passed the 7,000' level, just below Echo Summit, the snow began. Up to
that point the roads were a bit wet. The air temperature had been slowly
dropping until it was about 34. Then the snow. At the summit itself the snow
changed from being as much ice as snow into huge flakes, "the size of dinner
napkins" my wife said. That snow continued to South Lake Tahoe and continued
as we hustled eastward because we were afraid the pass on US 50 leading to
Carson City would be closed. Amazingly we passed through the tunnel on the
east side of Lake Tahoe and the snow stopped to reveal blue skies and slushy
pavement. Rejoice!

We stopped for gas at Costco near the junction of US50 and US395, then
turned south toward Bridgeport. There was literally no sign of autumn color
along 395 although the Sierra loomed to the west as a white wall of snow.
Everything changed when we reached Walker. Once we began the Walker River
Valley snow and hoarfrost covered the trees and ground. It was nearly sunset
by this time but the light was quite wonderful, although diffuse. Neither of
us thought conditions would last beyond the dawn so we stopped often to do
as much photography as we dared.

By the time we reach Bridgeport we were driving through deep dusk. All the
major passes across the Sierra, save 50 and 80 were closed, and snow was
clearly falling along the higher elevations.

Today we explored Conway Summit (only the faintest hint of color), Bodie
(leaves just turning to the lightest shades of green), Lee Vining, (same),
Virginia Lake (some color above 8,000' but darn little, although fabulous
blowing snow from the tops of the peaks. The road there had been plowed but
there were still icy patches.)

By this afternoon temps were in the lower 60s with a strong north-westerly
wind and clear skies. Possibly Sonora Pass will open tomorrow with Tioga to
follow on Sunday (if we're living right.)

I think we'll head down to Mammoth and Devil's Post Pile tomorrow.

Autumn color seems at least a week away although the Sierra above 8,000' are
quite white.

I'll have photos when I get home. Our internet is good for writing but not
so good for uploading images.

Next week the color might be much better.

Adam Bridge
Bridgeport, CA

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] Along the Eastern Sierra)