Subject: [Leica] OT Panel advises against prostate cancer
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 18:45:58 -0700

Yet another bit of anecdotal evidence:

Just because my testesterone level was a bit low, I was getting
semi-annual testesterone shots. When I went in for this regular
ritual, my physician was on vacation, and his replacement, looking at
my PSA level, refused to renew the prescription without knowing why
the level was up.

I had a needle biopsy and a cancer was found. It was only a couple of
millimeters long and was almost missed; it showed up in only one of
ten needles. But, it was adjudged aggressive. After considering the
alternatives, my physics background led me to settle on what they
call "Intensity modulated radiation therapy," a total misnomer,
because what is modulated is not the intensity, but the shape of the
beam, as the linear accelerator rotates around you.

One thing scared the bejesus out of me. One session was delayed, I
was told, because the controlling computer had crashed. I asked about
it, and was told that the computer was a PC running Windows 2000.
Scary!!

I wrote a letter to the hospital administrators, saying that my
physician having gone on vacation may have saved my life. All this
happened in the year 2000. No ill effects and PSA has stayed down.

Herb