Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another Relic From the Past
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:37:57 -0500

Attached to the end of my cluttered workbench is a post vise that goes back
at least three generations in my family.  I first recall seeing it as a part
of an outdoor blacksmith shop on our farm, in the 1930s, under a large sweet
gum tree, where plows were sharpened and general repairs were accomplished.
I suspect it dates back to my great-grandfather, but can't confirm this.

The post vise mounts to the bench and is supported by an iron post, in my
case anchored by an oak log:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Vise+78.jpg.html

The vise is powered by an encased Acme screw thread:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Vise+83.jpg.html

Many of the parts appear to be crudely forged or stamped:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Forging+Details+81.jpg.html

Fuji Finepix F10, ISO 800, Flash

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols