Subject: [Leica] Leica M9 comparison shots added to dpreview database
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:05:11 -0400

For me digital has made it possible in shooting at night for not just aiming
under street lights any more. But I can point my camera hand held into dark
alleys  as I walk by in which all I can see is nothing;  click the shudder
and see all the stuff back in the alley in the back of my camera. Its like
TV amplified surveillance lenes only they are not. I did this at iso 1600
cropped and can now all this year do it of course much better at iso 6400
full frame. Which by the way is only two stops difference.
I shoot when I'm awake and I think shooting at night gives you an edge.
Often when shooting next to a natural available light such as a street light
or shop window if you are zoomed in a bit you are only shooting the
illuminated area. So its hard to tell if its a night shot. It just has
something unusual about it people cant quite put their fingers on. They
don't know it was not shot during the day.
And the use of flash can be quite creative.
I think much of what gave Weege his edge was his shots were all at night.
Very few during the day. And there's an excitement you get with a night shot
which is not there in a day shot.

But if like me you're on the late shift its the only game in town.
Now much more doable with digital gear.
Shooting at night is much less done. The bulk of the shots you see are
indoors or by the light of the sun:

They say that nighttime is the right time
To be with the one you love
Too many thoughts get in the way in the day
But you're always what I'm thinkin' of
I wish the night were here

Bob D.

--