Subject: [Leica] Owning a Leica camera & Leica lenses in the tropics
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:28:36 +0900

Hi, Bruce,

I live in South Japan and the summer humidity caused a Canon lens and
a Mamiya lens to get fungus.
I also have to be careful with leather shoes, belts, and camera
straps.  You're probably aware of that problem already.

Since then I bought a Dry Cabi (dry cabinet) from Toyo.  It was about
$400, just plug it in, and it dehumidifies the six
shelves inside.  Just be sure not to put leather straps and cases in
the cabinet, as they can introduce mould spores.

It beats messing around with silica gel packs, and worrying if they
need recharging or replacing.  On a humid day here,
a silica gel pack is full after just one day.

All the best,

Peter