Subject: [Leica] Angioplasties and a Friday Flower
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:16:03 +0800

Hi Luggers,
Some of you may have noticed my radio silence over the last month or
so but only a few safari friends know the reasons why.
I have been learning about the miracles of modern medicine first hand.
On November 11th I had my first angioplasty involving 7 stents in the
two left arteries.
Just the day before I had had a dye CT scan which showed major
narrowing in all three arteries - despite having normal range LDL
numbers - which I have tracked for years.
And the first miracle was that I was able to be operated on the day
after the scan - in fact the cardiologist wouldn't let me leave the
hospital but checked me in right away.
The second miracle is that the medical technology is straight out of
Star Wars (made by Siemens Germany) allowing three dimensional imaging
of the operating area
through the use of contrast dye and little R2D2 xray boxes that zip
around by remote control with a large X ray wheel swiveling overhead.
My first angioplasty lasted 4 hours and I took in so much contrast dye
that the last right artery was left for another time to avoid over
week and it wasn't so successful.
The cardiologists couldn't get in due to a double S bend in the artery
near the heart so no stents were installed. That's the bad news. While
they were in they checked the earlier stents and everything is
settling in well. The blood flow from the left arteries is strong
enough that capillaries are developing to feed blood to the nearly
blocked right artery and if that trend continues the cardios say that
open heart surgery may not be required. So that's the good news.
So, I am back and here is a friday flower to celebrate - taken with
the Fuji X100 in macro mode.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/HKFall2011/OrchidW.jpg.html

Please look large and enjoy.
C&C always welcome.