Subject: [Leica] 68 LUG Yearbook Submissions Thus Far--I need you to eep Them Coming!
From: neal at photoneal.com (Neal Friedenthal)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:23:51 -0500

The backyard idea came from the writers at MGM. In the book when she goes to
Oz its real.  She does not hit her head and dream the whole thing in color
only to come back to her black and white life in Kansas when she wakes up.
She ends up moving there. Also in the book she's 11.
There were several books afterwards most of which my Dad read after dinner
at the table during desert in the 60's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oz_books

In the book
Dorothy is an orphan.
The Munchkins were not midgets or dwarfs, just smaller than regular adults.
In other words actors.

And more importantly:
The Wicked Witch of the East had Silver Shoes, not Ruby Slippers.

I just noticed yesterday at At Barnes and Noble the book is put in in the
cheap Barnes and noble published classes right next to Jane Austen and the
Count of Monte Cristo.

--
Mark R.

Mark,

My mother read the OZ book to my brother and me when we were growing up, I
have the collection unfortunately not first editions
  and not in very good condition. However it does contain all 14 of the L.
Frank Baum editions as well as several written after is
  passing.  Interestingly enough the movie "Return to OZ" which the critics
hated is closer to the original books that the 1939 film.

Neal

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 68 LUG Yearbook Submissions Thus Far--I need you to keep Them Coming!)