Subject: [Leica] M9 DNG compression
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:53:59 -0800

I too have never seen a difference to date. Early on I shot a number of
comparisons to make sure I wasn't doing something stoopid, but as a result
of those tests and information from Leica I now shoot compressed. It's not a
matter of disk space or card space, but of speed. The buffer in the M9 is
small enough, and clears slowly enough that any speed enhancement is
noticeable, and there is a BIG difference in the speed. Try shooting a
buffer full of compressed vs. non-compressed images and see how long it
takes for the buffer to clear (write light to stop blinking).

I don't shoot in continuous mode, but I do expect the camera to be ready
when the shot arrives in the viewfinder. When the buffer is full, the shot
is often gone by the time the camera is ready again.

Henning