Subject: [Leica] Test
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:17:44 -0500

As a teen in Chicago in the 60's I'd hang out on the steps of the Art Museum
with the hippies and the area and I'd go in the museum a lot. It was free.
One of the paintings I looked at every week was the Hopper.
The other was the huge Seurat. A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande
Jatte.
I had a misconception. And that was the Hopper, Nighthawks (1942) was
painted in locally in Chicago. I though I'd passed it once or twice.
But here's what happened last year which fixed that:

A year ago I was walking back here at night after a movie in Greenwich
village and I did a shot which was very vaguely Nighthawks like  but put me
for some reason in a real Nighthawks mood like I've never been in my life
and when I got back here I Wiki'd it it had got me going on the topic. Even
though the place I shot was kind of a smaller dive and too modern for A true
Hopper feel I somewhat got a real Hopper like vibe from the whole
experience.
And I wanted to know where in Chicago the Hopper was painted. Which
neighborhood.
It was painted in NY.
Which of course everybody else already knew but me.
7th Ave S & W 11th St
but with much controversy as to where and if.
And that was a block east of where I'd just made my shot. I was on 6th
walking back from the Waverly. And I was on 11th.
Not that's a coincidence if you believe in coincidences!!
Perhaps the joint I shot was really the real Hopper influence?
It was real small but there was something about that window!??!
The one the tour guides all point to is just a few hundred feet to the west
and there is no Diner on that corner any more. But maybe there was one
across the street they are saying in my url's below.

I'm chalking it all up to my Spiderman built in Art GPS which partly comes
from sleeping through many art history classes at 8 in the morning for two
years. Viewing slides through my eyelids during rapid eye movement cycles.
Now to find the shot I made last year.
I cant wait to have GPS in all my metadata.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/opinion/05moss.html
http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2010/06/finding-nighthawks-part-1.html

--
Mark R.