Subject: [Leica] Kodak to support film.
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (jshulman@judgecrater.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:25:07 -0500

I did, for one (or certainly rooted for it) .  Back in the early 90s I ran
the marketing dept. for a catalog company, and kept pestering the graphics
department to "go digital", since we spent a fortune on film, and had to
deal with the inconvenience of e6 processing, scanning (remember 15 minute
scan times?) and related annoyances.  Trust me, the product shots were not
art, nor intended for the ages.  The only pro alternative was the Leaf
camera, which required exposure times that would have made Brady seem as if
he was using a motor drive.  The Leaf was also something like 60k.

In early 1997 I recall having a professional portrait taken with a digital
camera.  It was affordable for the pro (about 5k) and the quality was just
fine.  By then, I knew film was dead--or at least going the way of fountain
pens and vinyl records.

Kodak, at the time, was predicting an orderly transition from film to
digital, with a 50% market penetration of digital by 2006.  They were wrong
by six years, which explains part of their problems.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone