Subject: [Leica] IMG: roadside memorial
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:35:34 -0700

I didn't know Terry Lee Tanner. I stopped here, along County Road 99,
because some years ago at a Santa Fe Workshop class titled "Seeing Light"
one of the students had talked about doing a project on the roadside
memorials she had seen around Santa Fe. She had done something else. But the
idea remained. Later, as I took up cycling, I found myself riding in the
rural Central Valley of California where there seem to be many of these
small, hand made memorials. One day, I thought, I should do something with
them. But when I ride there is always a push to simply . . . well . . . GO.
Photography and cycling didn't seem to blend well. I didn't want to risk my
"good" cameras on my bike. I didn't want to take cruddy pictures. A new
camera, a small Sony NEX-7 and a small handlebar bag, solved the problem of
what to take. A week of very constrained calorie intake took care of the
need for speed. So I stopped as I passed this cross with its wreath and
brass nameplate.

I was glad to stop, actually. The road was very busy, there was no shoulder
to the right of the white fog line, just gravel. Some of the cars that
passed were awfully close, one of them driven by a guy on his cell phone. So
I carefully laid my bike down onto the gravel berm took out the camera and
began to explore what I was seeing. This was made more complex by having to
learn a new camera.

As I sat on the gravel I realized a car had come to stop behind me on the
other side of the road. A young woman got out, crossed the road. "He was my
father," she said. We talked. She told me that Terry had been riding on an
August evening about 9:45. He was riding in the middle of the lane so he
could be seen. He had a headlight but not a rear reflector. His daughter
thought he had had one. A driver headed south didn't see him until the last
moment. He died on scene.

She told this as she sat beside me along side the road. Not crying, but
clearly glad to share his story with someone. "I need to seal the wood
better," she said. "The sun is so hard on it."

She straightened the wreath, thanked me for stopping, and returned to her
car. I put away the camera and rode south into west Davis. Thoughtful.
Suddenly the idea for the project was even more human. I will not see these
memorials in the same way. I will work to make my images reflect something
of the care their creators put into them. They are keeping memories alive
there where dreams died.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22108054_6S9pDD#!i=1764588410&k=n9WSQ3X>

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from Barry98 at telus.net (Barry Hinderks) ([Leica] IMG: roadside memorial)