Subject: [Leica] Sorry, more OT: Portra 800?
From: disfromage at ameritech.net (Richard Wasserman)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:06:25 -0500

The Portra films of today are very different, and greatly improved from the
films of the 90s. They are sharper, have greater exposure latitude, and much
finer grain. There are also fewer versions?160, 400, and 800. No VC and NC.
They all render color differently, more or less saturated, although with
Photoshop those differences are easily manipulated. I think Richard, the
best thing to do is try a bit of each one and compare them. See which you
like best. How large will you be printing? The difference between 400 and
160, at least in terms of grain, are fairly nominal until you get large,
over about 20x24 from 120 in my experience. I have limited experience with
E6?I shot a bunch of Astia, but that was a while ago. I currently use Portra
400 in 120, and Portra 160 in 4x5. Have fun, we are very lucky, these are
the best color films ever made.

Richard Wasserman

www.richardwasserman.net