Subject: [Leica] Ansel Adams Wilderness
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:18:43 -0700

<tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> Sun over Lake Ediza was 15 frames -- two rows of 7 plus one for the
>>> sun.<<<<<
>
> Are you saying this photo is a combination of 15 frames stitched in camera
> or Photoshop of some kind?

Yes.  That image is 10,951 by 8,603 pixels -- very large.  But I use a
substantial overlap; so it's not nearly as large as 14 full frames
side by side.

I used Photoshop CS5 to combine the frames.  But, the fully automatic
stitching did not work very well when all the primary 14 frames were
thrown into the program at once.  What I found worked best is to first
stitch the bottom row that has the lake in it.  With this row I
leveled each frame prior to stitching them.  I used the ruler tool
with its "straighten" option, and used the shoreline of the lake as a
guide.  Once the bottom row frames were level, the PS automatic
stitching, set to cylindrical, worked very well.  I next stitched the
top row by itself using the PS automatic system.  The result needed
some work and was then manually stitched to the bottom row.  Finally
the sun frame was added manually.   Obviously the sun was *much*
brighter than anything else.  So, the relatively values of the print
are highly compressed in that region.

Thank you all for your comments.

Regards,

Paul