Subject: [Leica] PESO: Papoose
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:19:06 -0700

Jim Shulman OFFERED:
> To my great chagrin, I ran out of film.  I missed two terrific shots:  a
> 300+ African-American man wearing nothing but a Crown Royal bag as a
> codpiece, and a man in his complete wherewithal sporting a left buttock
> tattoo of Yosemite Sam saying "Back Off!"

Hi Jim,
If I may? ;-) OK a little tip from my film days!  Film and running out this
may help?

I always had a roll of film in my pants' pocket that I never used until all
the film in the bag or photo-vest was gone. I rarely ever had to use it
other than a couple of times in 60 years! But it was a back-up roll not to
be used unless in absolute panic mode!  Never thought about it!!

You don't think about it being in your pocket as a roll to use. So you shoot
according to what you have in bag or vest. Even  when you take the last roll
out of the bag.......

"YOU DO NOT THINK ABOUT HAVING A BACK-UP ROLL!"

The roll you've just taken out of your bag is.... "the last roll" so use it
accordingly!"  It's all psychological to make you use the film you know you
have, 20 or 30 rolls in vest and bag as the assignment starts. That's your
working film  and you shoot around that!

It's like wearing a bullet proof vest! You always hope you'll never have to
use it! So the roll of film is of the same cut of thought. Most days you
will remove it from pocket when you arrive home. Same as BP-vest!

I hope this helps for the next go around of naked and strange people
photography! ;-)

cheers,
ted