Subject: [Leica] Costal Optics 60/4.0 Apo Macro
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 21:36:41 +0930

I've got one.  It is truly apochromatic - it focuses UV, visible and
IR light without focus shift.  At magnifications greater than 1:4 it
displays a strong hotspot rather than even illumination, which you can
mitigate by using extension tubes instead of focusing very close.

To photograph UV or IR you need appropriate cut filters, and a dSLR
with the filtration removed from over the sensor.  Without
modifications, most current digital cameras are only poorly sensitive
to non-visible wavelengths.  A few B&W IR sensitive films are still
made.  Old stocks of Kodak HIE are rapidly losing their IR
sensitivity, irrespective of storage; the sensitising dyes store
poorly.  There are no strongly UV sensitive colour films made any
more.  Some B&W films are reasonably UV sensitive, but again the best
ones are gone.

The Coastal Optics lens is great for UV/IR work, but for visible light
macro work I'd get a good macro by the manufacturer of your dSLR.  A
Leica 50/1.4 ASPH is a much better normal lens for visible light work
at normal distances.  But for non-visible wavelengths, unless you can
find a UV-Nikkor, the Coastal Optics lens is pretty much your best
bet.

Marty