Subject: [Leica] Dancing along the banks of the Seine
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 11:16:23 -0700

<Hi all,
>> Some new pix:
>> http://leowesson.smugmug.com/Leo/Dancing/25154121_Xjk5p2#!i=2062675182&k=9LKFbmr
>> Leo Wesson
Gerry Walden offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Dancing along the banks of the Seine

>I have been looking at the weekend at some very similar images just posted
>by Leica-user Peter Turnley. I think you and he must have stood virtually
>next to each other! Your images are certainly on a par with his Leo. Thanks
>for posting.<<<<<<

Hi Gerry,
You know so many of us "look in awe" at the "so called big names in
photography." Here we have a street situation where our own Leo Wesson was
shooting the same subject as Peter Turnley and you are saying Leo's photos
are on a par with Peter's! Absolutely! My question is...... "Why shouldn't
they be?" Same subject, same cameras, same talents! The only thing Peter has
is a "broader published set of photography and the following publicity of
several years of published works, both in magazines and books!

As is the same simple contrast between HCB and our own Lluis! No don't scoff
at my remark! Quite frankly on an overall basis I'd put Lluis photography up
against HCB's any day. And Lluis might come out on a par or in some cases
better than HCB!  Obviously the reverse in some cases.

Heck HCB lived in  an entirely different world with few photojournalists and
his kind of money and connections/publicity/published works. Not to forget
how many years people have been plugging his photography, books upon books
of the same "old photos!" I see an ad for a new "HCB" book and my reaction
is.... "Get over it folks, it's the same old photos re-printed for the 100th
time!" Just a flashier cover and a re-hash of the same old words!!

Dollar for dollar, equal publicity and publications, notoriety etc. given to
Lluis! And people would be wetting their pants over his works also in equal
style as HCB! Yep he shot a bunch of cool stuff. As has Peter! But we all
have to keep in mind, it isn't always the photography that's so great.......
"it's the publicity, publications, books and TV that quite often create the
image of how great the photographer is." Certainly when comparing an unknown
name to a so called "Big-name shooter!"

Great job Leo just keep shooting and never fear nor think about Peter? HCB?
Lluis or whomever? Who happens to be shooting right along side you. :-)

Here's what crosses your mind as you go into "exposure battle on the same
subject!" :-) :-)

"I'm going to blow him right out of the water!" It's a personal mental fun
challenge without fear, quite simply because he doesn't know he's in a form
of competition and you coolly click away at all the magical stuff that
catches your eye and turns you on to "CLICK!"

Then forget it and completely do it! :-) Trust me it works! ........ Never
mind what or where the other shooter is or doing, simply because it doesn't
matter! Why? Because .... "you are going to shoot his ass off!" :-) In your
mind if nothing else, then transfer that to the sharpness of your eye and do
it! :-)

So endth the lesson for today! ;-) ;-)

Cheers,
Dr. ted :-)