Subject: [Leica] Light metering with the Leica M9
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 13:44:31 -0700

The only time I use a spot meter anymore is in the theater or concert
hall, and occasionally for testing. The histogram is a wonderful light
meter. It leaves no guesswork as to whether the area you're measuring is
truly representative--if a highlight it going to blow or a shadow goes
below zero, you know it. All you waste is a free test shot.

The MM is unique because it has no highlight headroom. So the spot meter
will let you recalibrate yourself re. how you use the internal meter.
But I suspect the histogram will be just as good, and eventually you
will just know that in this or that high-contrast situation, you'll take
your initial shot at minus 2/3 what the meter says, or something like
that. And then, one test shot and a glance at the histogram will reveal
whether that's correct or not.

Here's an M8 concert shot where the spot meter was truly necessary. The
brightness range exceeded the sensor, I really needed to know what would
fall where, and whether I could get the faces OK without losing anything
important in the extremes. This was a live performance, so I didn't want
to be messing with the histogram and disturbing the people around me
during the music,.

Now, if I'd had the MM, this shot would be better. The shadowed faces
are right at the lower limit for detail without too much noise. I'd have
a bit more "footroom" in the shadows with an MM.

Too bad the MM is priced out of my socio-economic status... :-) :-(

--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Light metering with the Leica M9)