Subject: [Leica] About current photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:32:51 -0700

Hi George,
Thank you for the heads-up on this article!  Most interesting! Actually a
very good topic for intelligent conversation these days given the rapid
advancement of iphones and the likes of equipment.

I attended a friends wedding last week and there was a chap holding-up, at
near arms length? What appeared to be a "slim-line laptop." Strange I
thought, "whatever would he be doing holding a lap top in that fashion?"

Much to my surprise he was taking and transmitting images instantly to the
grooms' family who live in Chile!

But here I was with an M8 Leica doing a few happy snaps for fun and just
couldn't imagine doing so with such an outlandish sized capturing machine. I
dare not call it a camera! WHY? Well in reality, it's merely an "Electronic
Instrument for an operator to record some form of digital image." But then
I'm bias about the electronic phones of the day as "operators snap billions
of recordings daily" But have the audacity to call themselves ... Pardon the
expression... "PHOTOGRAPHERS!"

When in reality they're merely "EIO's"! Electronic Instrument Operators! :-)
Most without a clue of what makes an interesting and moving photograph! An
image of some sort? "Yes!"

However next week I begin lessons from a very talented professional
photographer who captures absolutely amazing photographs with a
"iPhone-Camera!" :-) And I truly do not refer to him as an "EIO" for fear of
having to eat his iPhone-Camera!" :-)

Quite possibly my "Old-man attitude" toward the i-phone may well change
shortly. :-) We shall see.

Thanks again for the "blog-site" on this topic.

cheers,
Dr. ted