Subject: [Leica] B&W & Red!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:07:30 -0400

Shooting Bayerless.
What's black and white and red all over?

I looked up its probable sensor size and its
5120px by 2700px = 24.90mm by 18.70mm

Another issue is that it really is for motion work and not still work.
So that puts a money wrench into some direct comparisons.
It would be great to shoot a film with Summicrons though. And most of the
Red Ones gives you that option.

- points of great interest to me on this monochrome Red one announcement.

The fact that they are coming out with a monochrome is a vindication of
Leica's interest in such a thing. Its not just a gimmick. There are real
reasons to consider a  black and white digital camera. And its mainly I
think the idea of shooting Bayerless.
To me it was of interest way the specs / hype is laid out in this Red one
announcement compared to how Leica phrased theirs.
1. CMOS. A vindication of a sensor which some feel is unworthy to a CCD.
And specific specifics:
2. "15-20 percent bump in effective resolution" is what they are saying the
Bayerless process gives us.  My hopeful guess on the Bayerless advantage was
25%. So we are talking about a bump. Not a decimal point.
3.  DOUBLE the sensitivity gain. Which means double the iso or "ASA" speed
as they said!. 2X the speed. Not three or four times like some Leica
monochrome users seem to be indicating. So a more muted assessment from what
we got from the M9 to the Monochrome.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography