Subject: [Leica] Big news D600 and RX1
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:20:29 -0400

It is interesting that only in the past few years having gone mainly digital
and living in NY that I've bought cameras I'd not really inspected closely
in person nor fondled or peered though. My main camera I use now I think
D700 is in that category and it cost twice what my first Hasselblad or Leica
M6 did.  And those cameras I know what their inventors had for breakfast the
morning they were invented.  I experienced the D700 vicariously on the
internet there was no Pro Photo or Camera World in Portland for me to go to
and play with them nor hang out at and ask my Pro friends about.
That will NOT be the case though with the D600 I'm going to want to feel
what its like to have that camera in my hand and if it feels cheap or not
for its two grand USD I'll be amassing for it.

The Sony I'm not realistically pre visualizing my owning. Its a paradigm
shift maker.  With its relase full frame compacts have officially hit. And
we know at first at least the bottom line is 3 big ones USD.
So I can now have a camera I hardly know is on my person which when I pull
out I can shoot with with the same ISO's and quality levels I could with my
2.2 pound D700 which cruises happily on unlit sidewalks at iso 64,000 with
little to no noise issues or what dynamic range is not being preserved.

The basic form will not be altered all that much when those cameras come out
real soon with interchangeable glass to put in front. And with that a Leica
M adaptor. And that's the stage I'm waiting for because for 3 Grand my M
glass is going to have to fit on the front of it.  And that will happen soon
I'm going to guess 4 months.
This will be I see a bit of a threat to Leica because there will be those
who are in my position who were in the position to shell out 6 to 8 grand
for the latest Leica M  and that's not my financial position. 3 grand is for
me daunting but doable in the $$$ department.

A full frame sensor chip cost twice what a cropped one does. I think we've
absorbed that now and have gotten over it. We know what it can bring to our
results so if we feel we need that we can now go for that in more compact
cameras which will be with us.  Like a Rollei 35 might have been. Or our
IPhone 5's now are. Getting our minute by minute experience.
Leica has to get over the fact that they are making M's as fast as they can
but a compact more affordable full frame is not going to ruin that.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography