Subject: [Leica] IMG A going away party at the Computer History Museum
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:01:14 -0700

I''m a volunteer and docent at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View,
CA. I've been volunteering there since 2003.

Recently one of my favorite people on the staff decided to retire and there
was an all-afternoon retirement party for him in the main lobby of the
Museum. I snapped a lot of pictures of people shmoozing and reduced the set
to nine. Decided to make it an album, something I've only done once before.
Making an album is really a pain; I may just give it up.

Anyway here it is. One bit of commentary. After the informal shoozing
period, we were deafened by feedback from a portable PA system that they had
some trouble adjusting. When it finally got disciplined, the Vice President
for Exhibits and Collections made a speech. Then the one for Education, who
was Jim's immediate superior, made a shorter speech, with some emphasis on
Jim's quirky sense of humor. She then handed the mike to him; he said three
words: "So long suckers".

After that, we crowded into the room where lives a reconstructed PDP1
computer (vintage 1960) and all got to sing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow"
to the accompaniment of a four-part version played by the computer; the guy
who first programmed that computer to play four-part music in 1960 (Peter
Sampson) spent the weekend programming "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow".

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/McLure+Party/

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204