Subject: [Leica] What Is "Focus Peeking"
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:43:48 -0700

This sounds very much like the Focus Mask available on the PhaseOne IQ
digital backs. Either in Live View or after exposure it highlights the in
focus areas based on contrast, as Doug describes. In the PhaseOnes you can
even adjust the level of contrast to use to show the in-focus mask (my
guess is not part of the M offering). I would LOVE to have a back like
this...

 It's a wonderful feature if you think about it. If your lens is finicky
about having to be exactly mated to the body (Noctilux/75 'lux), you could
live with a little back or front focus. If you could see what was in focus
with these red lines (let's say the pupil of an eye against the white of
the eye), just moving your head until the area you want in focus lights up
would be terrific. Heck, even if your lens was perfectly mated, you'd get
more in focus hits than before at wide open...

If that is now available via live view on the EVF, it may well be worth the
price of admission...
IMO.
We shall see

Bob Adler