Subject: [Leica] OT- ZFS on Linux
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:08:04 +0100

Akhil,

I haven't run ZFS but have tried both FreeNAS and a custom Ubuntu server
with LVM.

FreeNAS is touted as being wonderful, but I found it difficult to tailor it
fit my  particular requirements. The custom route using LVM etc assumes a
fair
degree of familiarity with the technology but works well. The only problem I
found was that when I needed to recycle disks they were all a problem to
reformat.

Haven't run the N40L but it looks a decent bit of kit. There seems to be
plenty
of flexibility.

As for Ubuntu, personally I think it's a great operating system and
deservedly
popular although some purists think it too market-oriented. Stability
shouldn't
be a problem but if anything is likely to be critical go for a LTS (Long Term
Support) version. You might go for 12.04.1 at present. See
http://www.ubuntu.org/

Good luck,

Peter