Subject: [Leica] Ganesha Chaturthi Part 1
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:31:41 +0530

I had taken part in a photowalk on 19th September, together with my PSM
club mates. That was the day of a major festival in India, Ganesha
Chaturthi, in honour of the elephant god, Ganesha. He is the god of wisdom,
prosperity and luck - and so is very widely worshiped. This festival was a
relatively benign affair till a couple of decades ago when it was noticed
that it would always fall close to Ramadan (Eid ul Fitr), and it became a
huge celebration in Mumbai, a religious show of strength, and this attitude
has unfortunately seeped into a large part of the country. Anyway, in
Chennai it still is a relatively benign affair. Traditionally we do pooja
to an idol of Ganesha made of mud, which is then immersed in a water body
and dissipates back into nature. Anyway some shots in and around the the
Kapaleeshwarar Temple, supposedly in operation since the 7th century,
dedicated to Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction - Ganesha is his son in
Hindu mythology. All taken with the Fuji X-Pro 1 - a few with the 60mm f2.4
and the majority with the 35mm f1.4 lenses. I am glad to report that
autofocus speed has increased dramatically after the recent firmware update.

Eye contact with a god:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0645.jpg.html

Morning News:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0598.jpg.html

Discomfort:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0609.jpg.html

Umbrellas:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0629.jpg.html

Shade: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0632.jpg.html

Devotee:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0646.jpg.html

Fresh Idols:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/DSCF0659.jpg.html

Please see LARGE!

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Ganesha Chaturthi Part 1)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Ganesha Chaturthi Part 1)