Subject: [Leica] (NEW) STORY SERIES AS A TEST FOR THE NEXT BOOK? :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:42:09 -0700

Rent a Horse

Prior to my first assignment to the ranching country of Alberta it became

necessary for me to ride a horse as I had I never done so.   However I

survived only due to the success of my first riding assignment. I found

myself offered other projects involving mounting horse back. I can

assure you it had nothing to do with my riding ability.

With new assignments booked I was determined to really know how to ride and

do it right.  Thus saving me enduring the constant "city slicker" remarks.

Approaching the "Sun Dance Ranch", a rent-a-horse riding stable near

Ottawa, I arranged a schedule of daily riding lessons and was about

to mount for the first lesson.

The training approach was an hour a day for a month. Starting as a

rookie I found myself on a gentle horse riding around the corral and

familiarizing myself with the feel of the animal. On the back of my gentle

old horse and riding tall in the saddle of the cowboy, I loved it.

The first couple of days on the trails of the property I was

accompanied by an instructor who soon felt I was confident enough.

And suggested I should ride by myself.

The first day riding alone was exciting, somewhat like the first

time you were allowed to drive the car solo.

We plodded along for approximately thirty minutes, when my horse sensed

 it was half time in the hour ride, it turned and  headed for the

stable.  I tried to turn it's head to ride on farther to no avail

Plodding was over and like a bolt of lightening she headed for home.

With me hanging on for dear life and within sight of the barn, it reverted

to a docile gentle mare and sauntered up to the hitching rail as though

nothing had happened.

Explaining my experience to the stable hand, he just laughed and

said, "the old girl can't run that fast."  But as he lead her to the stable

she turned  and looked at me knowing she had me.

One of the instructors heard the story and a few days road along to see if
the horse would repeat itself, of course nothing happened, it did the usual
plod along with the occasional canter back to barn.  Now I really looked
stupid with my story of the wild ride.

 Nothing occurred for several days as I ventured out on my own. Sure

enough almost to the thirty minute mark her head came around and we were

off for the barn lickity-split.  I knew that horse was out to kill me.

This time I didn't say anything, I didn't want them to think I was an idiot.

But the horse and I looked at each other and we both knew this was

going to be a competition of survival.

I remembered what an old cowboy told me about horses, "they will try you!"

If you don't show who's boss, they will beat you every time."

To-morrow would be a different story!

The next day prepared for the usual gallop back, as soon as her head came

around, much to her surprise I pulled-up hard on the bridle.  It

worked, she stopped and stood there. Round two for me.

Each day after, it became an enjoyable ride with her, the pace of the ride

improved! I was comfortable with a fast canter and my ability

to where I felt I could ride with the Albertans.

On the final day I took a couple of cameras to hang from shoulders and to

get the feel of riding with equipment.  It was an enjoyable ride, me

feeling at ease. I stretched the time as it was the last day.

Lulled into a false sense of riding comfort I wasn't prepared for

what happened.

She made-up her mind it was time to turn and go. Before I could respond

I was given the test ride of my life, she flew along the trail at full

gallop .

Me hanging on dearly to saddle horn  and cameras I didn't realize we were
back at the stable yard and she came to an abrupt stop putting her head
down,  sending me and cameras through the air into the manure pile.  She
gave a kind of snort looking at me as only a female can! I swear she was
smiling!.

"You have to show 'em who's boss!" Cameras were Ok, my riding dignity was
somewhat bent!

End of lessons. Next rides were for real rounding-up cattle and
photographing the action there of. which I id hold my own!

And it produced one of my better books.  "WORKING COWBOY'S OF CANADA!" And a
subcequent edition "WORKING COWBOYS OF AMERICA.!..........................

I'VE NEVER RIDDEN SINCE! J

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] (NEW) STORY SERIES AS A TEST FOR THE NEXT BOOK? :-))
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] (NEW) STORY SERIES AS A TEST FOR THE NEXT BOOK? :-))
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] (NEW) STORY SERIES AS A TEST FOR THE NEXT BOOK? :-))