Subject: [Leica] turn around time for coding lens for digital M's
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:25:09 +1000

George, my personal experience may not be directly helpful regarding the
service you want, since we are on different continents. FWIW, one of mine
went to Solms a couple of years back via dealer and then distributor. They
did the organising but it was slow, slow and the dealer added his own mark
up (as you might expect).
. This week one lens of a pair that I sent for a CLA to the Australian
agent actually had  a flange replacement fitted. I didn't think that was
done anywhere but Solms and New Jersey..

You might consider too whether you want a Clean, Lubricate and Adjust at
the same time for specific lenses?
I'd suggest that you ring up Leica in New Jersey directly first. You might
find that faster in handling time than through your dealer?

If you just want your existing bayonet flange machined with the pits (to a
professional standard) then you could use John Milich in New York. Normally
you send him the flange only but ask for a pricelist/services available?
Try jm-at-milich-dot-com
His machining is first class and his (international) turnaround was rapid
on two jobs for ZM lenses for me a year or two back. I His communications
might best be described as concise but his work is first class.

My personal experience with the coding templates and Sharpies was not
positive (reliability and permanence) but others have been happy. Ideally,
you ought not completely degrease the mount either. Be aware that it is
very important that you do nor smear incompletely dry ink across the 6 bit
sensor or worse end up with scraped off residue inside the lens throat. One
LUG M8 user I know personally had to scrub his M8 sensor cover glass
vigorously, presumably with heart in mouth at the time!

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman