Subject: [Leica] Was More from the Essex boatyard, now YAWL
From: jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:59:25 -0400

Hi Nathan:

Do you mean the derelict boats with no masts, or do you mean the boat in
my 11x14 photos?  I know that you wouldn't kid me ;-) so I'll tell you
that the boat in my two photos is a yawl, and actually sailing a yawl is
easier than most other sailboats.

the main mast which they were stepping, is for power and having the rear
mast and sail behind the rudder post or on the transom provides a nice
balance and helps to steer the boat.  A yawl handles quite differently
than the similar looking ketch which has it's mizzen mast in front of
the rudder post. Same with a sloop.

There are not as many here in Massachusetts waters as there were when I
was a teenager about 50 years ago, but I remember standing on the
seawall one windy day and watching other sailboats, mostly sloops, fight
their way through the whitecaps into the bay.  Along came a yawl through
the gut as smoothly as any sailing person could want. It seemed to be
actually sailing into the wind.

http://yachtpals.com/yawl-9014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawl

Jim, "never sailed a yawl, only a sailing dinghy and a snipe" Hemenway