Subject: [Leica] Forward from LHSA
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:32:42 -0400

Jim Lager will speak next Tuesday, October 16th at 6 P.M. at Miami of Ohio
University in Oxford, Ohio. The Miami University Art Museum is the home of
the Charles M. Messer Leica Camera Collection and Jim will share his
personal stories about his relationship with Charles M. Messer and the
advisory role he played in assisting him with his collection of Leica
cameras.

That's my alma mater and my home town. Charles Messer was the head of a
construction company whose sign "Frank Messer & Sons" was out front at every
Miami dorm, dining hall, and academic building I can recall seeing and
prowling around during its construction as I was a kid growing up in Oxford.
Having become a Leica enthusiast at a tender age, and Leica user upon
high-school graduation, I was later dumbfounded to learn that one of the
most important Leica collections in the world was amassed by an owner of
Miami's seemingly default general contractor and donated to the Miami
University Art Museum, where my mother acted as a docent until she was 85 or
so. Presumably Messer's fortune was well earned and deserved, but it's nice
to see what goes around comes around.

(And no, I don't know whether Frank Messer & Sons built the Art Museum!)

If I can figure how to get off work at 2:00 Tuesday I'm going to drive down
to hear this.

?howard