Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Tent Rocks National Monument, New Mexico
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 00:48:46 -0400

Thanks, Richard, Leo and Jim.

If you make it out to NM again, there are a few places that aren't very
well known but provide some awesome photo opportunities. Tent rocks is,
or used to be, one of those places.

back when we moved to the Albuquerque area about 22 years ago, Tent
Rocks was just a spot on BLM land with no regulation. There was a sign
that asked visitors to not litter and also warned that climbing on the
soft rocks could be dangerous. Last time I was at Tent Rocks was no
later than 1996 and it was still wilderness. It was rare to see more
than two parties of folks in the whole area during a day. Then there
were no trails, only the arroyos were like paths. There was a lot of
opportunity to just scramble up rocks and climb in the crevasses.

Now the area is managed by the US National Park Service. The road is
paved, there is a small fee to enter, there are permanent structure
restrooms and picnic tables as well as paved sidewalks going up to the
beginning of the trails. It's sad to see it so "tamed" now and today
the extra accessibility added to the Balloon Fiesta crowd that is in
town brought quite a few people to Tent Rocks. I'd like to come back
when the weather is really bad and there are no other people, like it
used to be. Maybe one day before the winter gets too bad.

Phil Forrest