Subject: [Leica] OT: large format lens vs. medium format lens
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:53:48 -0700

As Iwas formulating the question, it sounds like the answer IS obvious, but
just want to confirm.

I am testing the Shenhao 617 and it could be my focusing techniques and
other issues, but it appears to me that the images are not as sharp on the
same film as images made by, well, the Hassy SWC.

Yes, I am expecting someone to jump in and say of course the SWC is razor
sharp because it's the legendary Biogon etc., but I am now thinking that
this generally will be the case, as the large format lens are designed to
cover large negative (and the smallest 4x5 dwarfs the 617) so they do not
generally have the resolution and sharpness that a good medium format lens
has.

Is this correct?

--

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] OT: large format lens vs. medium format lens)