Subject: [Leica] Photo Expo 2012
From: alal at poly.edu (A. Lal)
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:59:32 -0400

Just got back from a very interesting day at PhotoExpo 2012.

I was very interested in the new Typ 240 and the R to M adaptor. According
to sales staff  the Typ 240s on display were prototypes where focus assist
in live view did not work well. An 80 Summilux R was available to test with
the R adaptor. It was very hard to focus the 80 with the external electronic
finder.  By way of comparison I find it easier to focus an AI Nikkor
manually on my D800E. Perhaps production bodies will be improved with regard
to electronic focus assist, but as of now I certainly would not call this a
'satisfactory' solution.

The R adaptor is simply a (well made) tube with a female R mount at one end
and a male M mount at the other. The tripod socket is non-detachable. The
old 2228 tube or one of the Novoflex R to M adopters ought to function
equally well. Lack of  diaphragm stop down is disappointing. On the plus
side live view focussing (or what passes for it) at working aperture will
eliminate the effects of focus shift.   On the next model Leica needs to go
over to a hybrid electro-optical finder so that live view does not require
an external attachment, and they need to find a way to get better resolution
in live view to make focussing easier.

Overall, I came away with mixed feelings about the Typ 240. Focus with live
view was not as easy as I would have liked; of course, with M lenses if was
just fine. The M system and its lenses are so much smaller than full frame
DSLRs like the D800E that I really want to get one. Let's hope production
cameras offer better live view operation.

 BTW, I stopped off at Novoflex and enquired about M mount adaptors.
Novoflex do offer Canon FD and EOS to M and Nikon  F to M, so the big two
are covered. No Contarex or Alpa Reflex to M adaptors are contemplated as
sales would be too low.  I was also told that old Novoflex Follow-Focus
lenses can no longer be repaired or updated due to lack of optical cells
which were made for Novoflex by Agfa - I would never have guessed Agfa in a
million years.

CZ had an example of the new 135/2.0 in EOS mount. On a 5DII manual focus
was straightforward, even with the default screen. Two examples of the new
high resolution 55/1.4 were on display and they are huge for their
specification,  about the size of a Hasselblad 50/2.8 lens. A wide angle,
perhaps 28mm, and a short tele will follow. The sales rep claimed that they
would do justice to the new generation of high MP sensor from Nikon and
Canon.

Nikon had the new 70-200/4.0 zoom on display. It is significantly lighter
than the 2.8 zoom and handled very well on the D800E. This lens really
impressed me. I may well sell off my 70-200/2.8 VRII and get this one in its
place. Deliveries are expected to begin in late November.

Regards,
Akhil

Replies: Reply from photobynelsch at gmail.com (Bill Nelsch) ([Leica] Photo Expo 2012)