Subject: [Leica] Which Leica R tele-zoom?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 06:58:39 -0500

There are nikon non 2.8's which I prefer.
f4's and f4.5's. I've never cared for buying or owning ANY 2.8 zooms for my
nikon work I somehow survived. The slower glass is supposedly non
professional much of it the build is quite less but so is the weight. But
some of the slower zoom nikon glass the 80-200's or 70-210's are built
pretty well and can be knocked round quite a bit I speak from experience.
And most of them have optics which are not less than the 2.8s. Often they
are better.

The latest news this week is a new lens out of Nikon their newest lens which
is a constant f4 70-200 VR ED
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10/24/Nikon-70-200mm-f4-vr-with-claimed-5-
stop-image-stabilization
Or
http://tinyurl.com/96umlch
Turns out Canon had an f4 which many top photographers picked as a lighter
weight more compact non embarrassing option and its optics were also thought
to maybe be better. Nikon competed with that and its new last week's f4 has
advanced anti vibration able to give you many stops hand held over what was
avaible before and another stop over the previous anti vibration for the
nikon shoot tele zoom.
So you don't have to shoot at a 200th of  a second at 200mm you can shoot at
a 30th or god knows what. It should go without saying that this is no a
minor deal. This is a paradigm shift. You can now shoot teles indoors not
just wides.
20 optical elements in 14 groups! Total insanity.

If there is a lens in the nikon list which has had more variations on it
than the 80-200 2.8 or f4 than I don't know that it or they are. My book has
twenty pages on them the gray  Peter Braczko book on Nikon historic glass.

Another lens to consider when times are not so tight is the legendary AF
Micro Nikkor D 70-180 f4.5-5.6 ED.
Its a lens like this that makes one not so upset one is not shooting Leica.
Its a lens I'm sure I'll be shooting with then I die and go to heaven.
And hey we can shoot both!

By the way one of the lenes I've gotten back from Portland just this season
is the ultra light weight AF zoom Nikkor D 80-200 f4.5-5.6
It weights 11.6 oz less than many non fast tele primes.  Three or four of
them make a modern VR 2.8.
But is plastic for sure. Its optics  as you don't bang it going through a
door are amazingly good.

I shot this with it
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/fridayflowers/120602_182751.jpg.h
tml
Or
http://tinyurl.com/9cxccny

6/2/12, 6:27:51 PM, flowers on porch upper west side ny, NIKON D700
80.0-200.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 1/320 s at f/9.0 @ iso 400 @ 105.0 mm

Mark William Rabiner
Photography