Subject: [Leica] IMG: Eisenach travelogue part II
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 22:22:02 +0100

Hi All,

our two last days in Eisenach were taken up with a long
hike up to the Wartburg with a group of friends.

Here's Frauke waiting for the group arriving:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0081.jpg.html

This is where we are headed for - the long way around:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4491.jpg.html

The hikers:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4538.jpg.html

A quick look back:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0085.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0085.jpg.html

The castle in sight:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4540.jpg.html

Tail-enders in the woods - living in Hannover (North
German Plains) slows you down when it gets hilly.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4566.jpg.html

Almost there:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4543.jpg.html

Short pause for breath:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4561.jpg.html

The view from the outer keep:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4560.jpg.html

Click forward from here for views of and from the castle

At this point we were much too shattered to do anything
except drink lots of cool beer - it must be said that
Frauke has two new hips and I had a strained Achilles
tendon and a twisted knee even before we started, so
the descent is virtually undocumented.
Just a short stroll around town to look at where Martin
Luther went to school:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0043.jpg.html

Back down to the Stadtschloss and then back to the
hotel for a well-earned beer and a steak.

The first stop on the next day was in Duderstadt, one
of the best-preserved timbered towns in northern
Germany, for a coffee and a rest:

Although it's called the "Ratskeller" "city council
beer cellar), it's a very good Italian restaurant:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4575_001.jpg.html

The market square conjures up all sorts of amusing
stories - at one end is the Catholic church and at the
other the Evangelical church:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0111.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0117.jpg.html

The side streets all have their churches, too,
including one with a corkscrew spire:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0119.jpg.html

and the catholic end has a "saint on a stick" - usually
not seen this far north, but Bavaria is full of them:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0126.jpg.html

After leaving Duderstadt, we were followed by a nutcase
in an Iveco truck who seemed to think that the numbers
on speed signs mean the minimum speed you have to drive:

We had about an hour of this guy on our back bumper and
finally escaped into the car park of a well known
hamburger chain:

Diesel on our tail:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4572.jpg.html
McD in Alfeld
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0136.jpg.html

The trusty VW Polo that got us there and back
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/CRW_0140.jpg.html

The bloke who took the pictures - a quick snap in a
hotel bathroom:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Eisenach/_MG_4429.jpg.html

Cheers all, and thanks for looking
Douglas