Subject: [Leica] IMG: Whistler's Sunrise
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (Jon Streeter)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 09:06:46 -0800

For example:

I was in Iowa visiting the old family farm, crested a hill and thought the
vista was so beautiful, I just had to stop and photograph it.  Parked at
roadside, got out, picked the 35mm lens (a Nikon, probably thinking how much
better the image would be with the M3 I'd sold to buy the fancy Nikon with
its little color television set inside for a viewfinder and its nifty way of
turning into a telescope with long lenses), and just as I was about to press
the shutter release, a countrified gal in a rusty, battered pickup -- both
apparently from central casting -- pulled off a side road and proceeded
right into the lonely country road winding through open fields, meadows, and
green, green trees,  which I had visualized as totally peaceful, rustic,
unruffled by the presence of humanity, and parked right in the middle of the
shot, got out, and walked off into the fields and woods never to return,
perhaps reabsorbed into an alternate reality to wreak havoc with a
photographer in a parallel universe, that being her reason for being, her
mission here accomplished.  There were no other cars on the road.  None.
Just her, and she came along at just the right time and place to ruin the
shot.  What are the chances?

Another time, this time in Pasadena, I noticed the brick fa?ade of a
storefront, sidelit from the afternoon sun, a transitory effect, passing
into history as I watched.  I whipped out my Leica, took a light reading (I
am NOT good at judging settings without a meter, sorry, purists),
focused...and just at that moment, a car coasted to a stop right in the
middle of the scene.  They weren't parked, exactly, just stopped for no
apparent reason.  I crossed the street and, conscious of the fading light,
asked them how long they might be.  They had no idea because their engine
had just quit, and they were waiting for a tow truck.  I mean, really, what
are the chances?

I should, of course, give credit to this interactive universe we're in for
the lucky accidents that have given me gifts of photographs I really like,
those photographs when lights, camera, and action converged into one
ultimate, unrepeatable instant.  Thank you, universe, for your gifts...and
your really, really annoying sense of humor.