Subject: [Leica] Leica Monochrom in DC today -- NOT DC?
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (Jon Streeter)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:47:03 -0800

Ted,

Thanks so much for the insight into the biz and your experiences in it.  I
value both.  I photographed mostly in black and white because I could afford
it, could process the film myself and make the prints myself in a rental
darkroom.  I don't remember thinking that I'd have preferred color.

I love your comment about "real photographers" and "souls vs. clothes."  I
plan to get some mileage out of those observations.  On the other hand, I'm
not ready to make a pronouncement on which is superior, B&W or color.  When
I think of my favorite images, mine and others, most of them are in black
and white.  On the other hand, how many times have people come out of a
museum thinking, "Well, those were nice paintings, but they'd have been
better in black and white"?  With Photoshop, we're finally, perhaps,
approaching the control the painter has over the precise color of our
images.

I had the chance yesterday to photograph my daughter in her gymnastics class
using my Leicas, M3 and M6.  They were both loaded with color.  But I wasn't
thinking of the color, just the timing and composition.  (By the way, I
noticed a huge difference in the shutter release between the M6 and M3 that
I don't recall noticing before.  Maybe I've noticed it and just forgotten.
The M3's release is much more positive and the shutter goes off with very
little shutter-release travel; whereas the M6 release felt mushy and had to
be depressed much further for the shutter to release.  I missed several
shots because I'd not pushed the release far enough).  I'll see how I did
when the film is processed and proofed.  It certainly was fun looking
directly at the subject instead of at the little color TV inside the camera.

As for in-camera metering, I love it, both manual and full auto.  From my
earliest days in photography I wanted a camera that would do all the grunt
work for me, leaving me free to concentrate on timing and composition, with
the option, of course, of reverting to manual whenever I wanted.  Modern
cameras are just about there, and may arrive when AI really hits its
stride -- a little hand will pop out and slap the photographer in the face
and say, "That is NOT a good photograph."  Interesting thought.  As Kertesz
said, "The best ones get away."  I've found that no matter what camera I'm
using, for some shots, the one I don't have with me would have been better.
With the M3, I have to take a light reading and transfer the settings to the
camera.  With the M6, I still have to balance the little triangles.
Automatic film or digital cameras, both point-and-shoot and pro-level SLRs,
have to be turned on -- a concept not much thought of back in the '50s --
and, even on the program setting, the desired ISO has to be selected.
Murphy's law applies in photography as far as I can tell.  I've got both
hits and misses because of the camera I was using.

Best regards,
Jon